Friday, December 21, 2012

Home is behind...

... the world, ahead. (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Be careful with those plates.

And before you ask, I haven't seen The Hobbit yet, yes, I know Martin Freeman is in it, and so is Benedict Cumberbatch, and Richard Armitage, please stop rubbing it in. Thank you.


Good song, eh? I know, I have impeccable taste. Just wait til you see what little gem I have for you at the bottom of this post. DON'T SKIP AHEAD. Ruins the surprise. Kind of like peeking at your gifts before Christmas.

Speaking of Christmas, I love it. I have been one big bowl of Christmas spirit. I smile my face off at store employees and wish anyone and everyone a merry one. (Tongue twister?) I have baked 3 batches of snickerdoodle bars, with more to come. I've been singing, wrapping, and shopping like a sir. How are YOU getting in the Christmas spirit?

Speaking of Christmas spirits, I tried to impart my love of A Christmas Carol on my 5th grade co-op class today. I think I scared them a little with my random outburst of "MANDKIND WAS MY BUSINESS!" and the video clip of Marley's ghost.

But seriously. I'm supposed to be talking about my writing, right? Welp, I chose my title for today for a reason. Home is behind, the world is ahead. At least, it feels like it for me. I'm sticking my head out a little further of my shell and writing a good deal more now that NaNo is over. I really needed November to jumpstart my love of writing once more, and I've churned out a little over 1,000 words in the past two days.

The good news? It isn't all terrible. I mean, I really like what I've written. There was a bit about voices being snipped like thread (copyright, property of ME)... Good stuff! The bad news? I have no idea where I'm headed. That's where the world part comes in. I feel like Bilbo Baggins, leaving the comfort of the Shire and delving into the wild world. I don't know what's coming. I know what my ultimate goal is (*ahem* eventually publish something), but there are all these obstacles and side adventures, if I may call them "side adventures". Maybe I'll encounter goblins. Or Gollums. Or Rings of Power. Who knows!? I certainly don't! Until I figure it out, I will keep reading, keep researching, and keep listening to Bing Crosby Christmas songs until the cows come home.

Now, for that little present I promised you. Behold: my childhood!!!


If I ever fell ill, if I ever grew bored, the 1977 Hobbit awaited me. I had nightmares about Smaug coming to eat me, lived in perpetual terror of the goblin song, and didn't understand half of what was going on, but nonetheless I have seen this film multiple times. So yeah, Merry Christmas. Enjoy!

Just envision Sherlock and Watson saying these lines. I think I just took care of your Happy New Year too. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment