Thursday, January 17, 2013

New (Old) Typewriter

I have always wanted a typewriter. Ever since I read the Kit Kittredge books as a kid, I have wanted one. I used to type up newspapers just like Kit, but it wasn't the same without the click-clacking of a typewriter.
My sister owned the doll, but I read all the books. :)
Well, guess what? I am now the proud owner of a typewriter! Sort of! I mean, it doesn't have an ink ribbon... and it's not entirely "mine"... and it's an electronic one from the 80's... but STILL!

It all happened at Goodwill. I was having a glorious day: I bought two skirts, one for $2, the cutest/most unique pair of flats, and a great quality white shirt. Then, my sister and I saw it: the $15, still working, electronic typewriter. Needless to say, we bought it, and the rest was history.

I can't really do anything with it except make clacky noises and play pretend. I want to find an ink ribbon for it, assuming it doesn't lead to any killers...


Don't y'all watch NCIS? That episode where this killer starts killing people (obvs), but it's related to McGee's unpublished manuscript, and it's this crazy fan who steals the ink ribbons from his typewriter and thinks that the book is real!? Somebody? Anybody? *sigh*

Just read this bit of the episode, wouldya?

MCGEE: Okay, sometimes when I’m in trouble, I take a few minutes to free-write.  
TONY: Free-write?  
MCGEE: Stream of consciousness. About my characters, my story arcs, my possible plot lines, everything. No filter. 
 TONY: No filter. 
 MCGEE: Whatever pops in my head goes right to the page.  
TONY: Ah. Write. Be free! Just do it. Free write! Be free. I get it.



See? I didn't just want to tell you about my typewriter! I wanted to segue into a section about free writing! (And gush about how much I love McGee and we're both writers and stuff.) 

I had such a great free writing session today. It was very much Downton inspired. I just finished The World of Downton Abbey, which is such a great intro to the Edwardian era. Plus, it really enhances the show. I find myself explaining the historical significance of certain lines/events to my family. Makes me feel awesome. I feel particularly awesome when I understand all of Branson's political references. Like a sir.

Anyways, my newfound (albeit shallow) understanding of the early 1900's made for an awesome pair of passages. I don't know if these musings will ever transform into a full novel, but I would definitely consider expanding the story. I've got a beginning and an end, but no middle. Someday, right? I'm sure the stuff is ridden with historical inaccuracies, but you know what? It's free writing. Like Dinozzo says, be free! Just do it.

Read my review of The World of Downton Abbey here! Do any of you free write? Tell me about it in the comments, if it strikes your fancy.

I was going to just put a picture of the book, but this bit of awesomesauce cropped up. *smirk*

My Christmas present. Super cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment