Monday, January 28, 2013

Writer's Fight Club

Disclaimer: I've never seen Fight Club. But I have seen the trailer for Jane Austen's Fight Club.


Basically, I propose that we (you and every writer out there who is reading this) form our own Fight Club. We hit our readers as hard as we can... right in the feels. Kind of like Episode 4 of Season 3 of Downton Abbey. Right. In. The. Feels.

Since I'm still smarting from last night's episode - and by "smarting" I mean "trying to understand why my family and I just can't pick up and move on after a simple TV show" - I figured I would talk a little bit about emotion. Also, I found a way to tie in the awesome trailer above, which then proceeds to tie into the 200th Anniversary of Pride & Prejudice, which also shamelessly allows me to plug the 83rd episode of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. I am aware I just wrote a run-on sentence. Please, ignore it.

Making sure your story has plot twists is essential. Making sure those plot twists resonate with your readers is a different story. Here are some examples (SPOILER ALERT):

- Pride and Prejudice: Finding out that Lydia ran away with George Wickham. Readers can't see this plot twist coming, as the two characters never seem to express any explicit interest in each other. Yet the twist isn't entirely improbable, as the reader knows that Lydia is silly and flirtatious, and George is a scumbag who has dabbled in such behavior before. Readers care because Lizzy and her family's reputation are at stake. The actual delivery of this plot twist is dramatic because Mr. Darcy is present when Lizzy gets the news.



- Downton Abbey: Sybil's death. (Yeah, I went there.) Viewers don't see it coming, because the baby is healthy and Sybil appears totally fine after giving birth. Yet when she starts having her seizure, it makes sense: Dr. Clarkson warned about eclampsia, and it can still kill after giving birth. Viewers care because Sybil is sweet and kind, and Tom and the baby need her. The actual plot twist is dramatic because her death could have been prevented, and because no one took Sybil to the hospital, everyone is entirely helpless when she dies.



- The Princess and the Frog: Tiana and Naveen turn human! (I needed to sneak a happy one in.) Viewers, or at least not this one, don't see it coming because they have been led to believe that the "happy ending" lies within Naveen and Tiana getting married. Yet it makes sense, because... Well... "Once you became my wife, that made you..." "... a princess! You just kissed yourself a princess!" And as we know from earlier, kissing a princess breaks the spell! The actual plot twist is dramatic, because OBVIOUSLY they're human and happy and it's a Disney movie. 


I picked at least two plot twists because they stick with the themes of my post, but obviously I could post hundreds more. There are twists in the beginning, the middle, and end, of big and small proportions, dealing with characters of every persuasion. The question is, do these twists mean anything? Do they make your reader feel something? Joy? Fear? Sorrow?

Just because I love lists, here are some tips on writing awesome plot twists:

  1. Don't let your readers see it coming! Never underestimate the element of surprise. Sometimes authors make the mistake of eluding too often to a certain twist. A small hint here or there can't hurt... (Downton spoiler: Slipping in a nasty Lord Grantham comment about Catholics makes Branson's desire to have the baby baptized Catholic even more tense.) Just don't overdo it. Get feedback from someone you trust. Make sure you don't leave too many clues.
  2. Don't be too cliche. Some cliches are unavoidable, or can have a fresh twist put on them. Yet others are so overused or classic that readers can't help but see them coming (see #1). If you're writing a Disney movie, you can get away with a few. But try and avoid heroes saving the day during a villain monlogue, the death that everyone saw coming, etc. Most cliches lie elsewhere, but beware cliched plot twists anyway!
  3. Make it personal. Fear nothing. Kill off an unlikely major character. Permanently injure an unsuspecting victim. Give a happy ending when all the odds go against it. This third tip really boils down to how well written and constructed your story is, so this is another area where feedback can help. Ask your beloved critique partners if the twist made them feel anything, anything at all. If they complain that it's falling flat, do everything in your power to fix the twist... or ditch it if necessary. 
Chances are, I've taught you nothing. However, it can't hurt to keep all this in mind as we, the new members of the Writer's Fight Club, go out to pick a fight with readers everywhere... and lose. *

* Note: I honestly don't know what Fight Club is about, so why do you want to lose? I mean, all I know is that Rule One of Fight Club is don't talk about Fight Club. Why even fight? I don't get it.

Anyways, I think I'm gonna go get punched in the feels by Pride & Prejudice to celebrate the book's 200th. Read a few chapters. Watch a few clips. Ardently admire and love Darcy. The usual.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Monica- this is one of the best posts you've ever done! BRAVA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, m'dear! I'm flattered! I thought this post was a bust... :)

      Delete
  2. I just stumbled across this blog and am now smitten. Please, I beg you, go to my blog and leave a loving comment so we can be blogging-best-friends-forever-and-always, otherwise I think I may cry. You are hilarious. Has anyone ever told you? I just thought I'd mention it.

    Awesome tips - I shall try to take them under my wing. My main problem with writing is plot. Damned plot. It hates me. And cliches tend to snake their way into my stories without permission. "Back, foul cliches!" I tell them. "Back, I say!" But do they heed me? Of course not. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, I cannot access your profile! *ack* But I am so glad you like the blog. And that you think I'm hilarious. Most people just get awkwardly quiet when I try and be funny.

      Plot can be so frustrating. I am quite frustrated with my own at the moment. I am heavy on the ending cliches. It all sounds so... done before. Nothing new under the sun, eh?

      Delete