Sunday, April 27, 2014

Fix Your NaNoWriMo Novel in 3 Incredible Steps

I usually resolve not to dwell on my old writing too too much...


But then sometimes I get this irrepressible urge to meander down memory lane. So last night I broke out my 2012 NaNoWriMo novel, you know, the one I don't completely hate. For the first twenty chapters, I was really quite impressed with myself. The opening of the plot was brill.


Then it got dull. Then it got corny. The words were superfluous and the characters were downright annoying. Oh, and plot holes! So many plot holes!


I thought about dramatically bemoaning my utter lack of talent to my family, but I decided against it.


I can always rewrite. I can just read the first twenty chapters and narrate the rest in my head. Besides, it's my vision anyways. Even if no one else can see it in all of its glory, I can!


In the words of famous fashion designer Edna mode: "Go, confront the problem. Fight! Win!" Three simple steps. I can handle that, right? See my errors, fix my errors, write a Pulitzer Prize winner.

Meh, maybe later.

Images: one, two, three, four, five

2 comments:

  1. "And call me when you get back, darling, I enjoy our little chats."

    I did the same thing with one of my old stories. I pulled it out and read a couple chapters and was in awe of how brilliant I was back then...then I got to the middle and closed the file as fast as I could. I've not had the courage to look since.
    Oh well. We are so much better now, right? On our way to being famous?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally en route to fame. I hear the author of The Help, Kathryn Stockett (please tell me I spelled her name right, she wrote such a good book) was rejected sixty times before someone took up her manuscript. We're one draft closer to international glory.

      Delete