Friday, July 13, 2012

Love Triangles

I am back!!! For all of... add two... subtract four... carry the one... Well, I am leaving first thing tomorrow. I literally just walked in the door and here I am, blogging. After four days of non-stop exercise and girl drama, I jumped at the chance to put some words on paper.

Now, onto the subject for today. Luuuuurve triangles. C'mon --- these things can be found in practically every story. Here is a list of biased examples tailored to my exquisite taste:

  • Edward/Bella/Jacob from Twilight [EW GROSS! A love triangle between a stalker, a pedophile, and a girl with about as much personality and willpower as a piece of wood. But it did spark the whole "Team" trend. If you wish to debate that Twilight is good, I'd like to hear your defense. I'm game for a good laugh.]

  •  Cosette/Marius/Eponine from Les Miserables [Does Eppie deserve Marius? Heck to the yes! Is her fate part of what makes Les Mis awesome? Heck to the yes! Both sides get awesome duets, so the tension in this triangle definitely pays off. Of course, I'm referring to the musical. The book is a little more complex.]
"Why yes, Marius. Please desert me, one of your best and most loyal friends, for a blonde soprano. I mean, it's not like I'm going to die for you or anything. Right?"
    
  • Peeta/Katniss/Gale from The Hunger Games [Admit it: this one kept us guessing for ages. It was virtually impossible to tell who Katniss would choose, at least in the beginning.]
  • Charles Darnay/Lucie Manette/Sydney Carton from A Tale of Two Cities [This one is in here simply because I am craving ATOTC. Don't get me going on the whole symbolism of Sydney and Charles' likeness...]
Ewwww ugly Lucie Manette version!
  • Darcy/Elizabeth/Wickham from Pride and Prejudice [All Austen novels have a love triangle. But let's face it: This one is probably one of Austen's best. The tizzy over Lizzie!]

I asked for this shirt for my birthday, BTW. *fingers crossed*
  • Westley/Buttercup/Humperdink from The Princess Bride [I just wanted an excuse to say this. *ahem* Mawwiage...!]

Lookin' pretty fly, Humperdink. Does anyone else find Westley's shoulder distracting?
  • Peder/Miri/The Prince from Princess Academy [This was my favorite book as a child. Peder was the first fictional boy I ever fell in love with. I mean, he smells like bread for Peder's sake! This book is so good I tried to quarry speak. You ought to read it.]
    • Side Note: HOLY MACARONI ACCORDING TO THIS MY FAVORITE CHILDHOOD BOOK IS GONNA HAVE A SEQUEL!?!?!? Furthermore, I would like to direct my fellow Austenites to this. Have we found ourselves a kindred spirit in this lovely author?]

  • William/Me/Branson from My Obsession with Downton Abbey [I will not hesitate to profess my love for William. Or at least Season 1 William. I am terrified that something bad will happen as of Season 2. But then there's Branson, who is IRISH, which is seriously tempting. Don't even get me started on Matthew... Then the Austen heroes show up and I can't stop swooning and things get ugly. Too many professions of love at once.]


William, a.k.a. the most adorable gentleman ever.

Hullo, my name is Branson, and I'm so cute it shouldn't be legal.
 It is important to note that not all love triangles are created equal. Believe it or not, that's okay! Well, sometimes. Allow me to explain.

Love triangles can be the basis of a story, an important aspect of a story, or a mere part of a story. The important thing is that readers are genuinely unsure of who is going to get the girl/guy in the end. Otherwise, the triangle falls flat.

Or you could be Twilight and just be plain bad. Just because your readers are guessing doesn't mean your characters are any good. Or your writing. Or your dialogue. Or your plot...

In The Hunger Games, I genuinely did not know who Katniss was going to choose. Gale was her best friend, one of the most important people in her life. However, Peeta was the classic "good guy" and was totally swoon-worthy. Gale was the dark, brooding type. Peeta was the martyr. Later on in the series, the tension seemed to weaken, but that is simply my personal opinion. Even though the triangle wasn't the central plot of the series, it played a huge role. Making sure that readers were guessing was essential.

In Princess Academy, however, there is little doubt that (SPOILER) Miri is going to end up with Peder. The prince is virtually non-existant for the beginning of the book. Miri and the prince don't have feelings for each other, even though they make good friends. Yet the possibility of marrying the prince drives a lot of Miri's inner conflict. If she marries him and gets to move to the lowlands, her family won't have to worry about harsh winters or accidents or money. On the other hand, she loses her family and friends. Yet she loves learning and wants to be noticed. What about her feelings for Peder? Furthermore, the prince's activity in the story leads to a lot of the external conflict. Even though the reader isn't necessarily left guessing, the love triangle matters.

A Tale of Two Cities: Carton can't have Lucie, but his love for her drives the entire end of the story. Les Miserables: Eponine saves the day out of love for Marius, thus driving the external plot as well as adding tension. Twilight: An emotionless twit does nothing while a stalker and a man in love with her child fight over her, while stuff happens. Are we sensing what makes a good triangle yet?

RULE OF THUMB: Tension is key. Either you want your readers to be actively involved in guessing who comes out on top of the triangle, or the triangle needs to drive the plot. Or both!

Writing Update: This post? I mean, it only took an hour and a half.

Reading Update: I got another page into The Scarlet Pimpernel. I might save it for later since I bought Between Shades of Grey today and I am simply dying to read it. It has Lithuania! I'm Lithuanian! Wootwoot!

Next week, my loyal readers. I shall return.

2 comments:

  1. "The Princess Academy"??!? That's the first time I've heard of that since, like, fourth grade. I so have to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really good. And actually what I needed to hear...

    Did you write this with the intention of getting me to put more Ed II in the story...? Hmmmm? ;)

    ReplyDelete