Monday, September 17, 2012

D.A.

Not Dumbledore's Army, you Potterhead! DOWNTON ABBEY.


It's so blimey good. I finally got my hands on Season 2! Well, the first disc anyways. Four more episodes to go. It's torture waiting for my family to send back The Middle so that I can get the next disc. The plot twists! The character development! The costumes! I knew I was hooked, but now I'm super hooked. My sister and I curl up right next to each other on the couch whilst giving commentary. Plus we drink tea, partially to feel more British.

Or, as the Doctor would say...



So many references. I feel so clever! Either of the above would get you about 500 brownie points, but the episodes are in the vid title, so if you peeked, NO POINTS FOR YOU (250 brownie points - and it wasn't even a British reference).

I really ought to take notes while watching D.A. On how to make you love and hate everybody all at once. The characters really are superb, and the plot twists... There are all these little ones that keep things interesting, and then there are the big whoppers that turn the whole castle upside down. That's how a good book should be too. I want to be as excited about my manuscript as I am about this goshdarn show. I love when people ask me questions or my opinion. The question now is how to transfer that excitement to my own story. I have to admit, I miss the days before my perfectionism got to my writing. I wrote with complete abandon, and even though I could have used twenty editors, it was a blast. Hence, I have taken a break from obsessive project planning and turned to complete nonsene, or "junk" as it is titled on my computer. Get the juices flowing. Rediscover my love of writing. Motivate myself. Good fun.

Writing Update: (see above) Just having fun right now. Playing with period drama, since that's what I've been gobbling up for the past few days. Plotting a book that may or may not come to be. NaNoWriMo will wake me up to the real world, I suppose. Still, I like taking a break, so to speak. Not taking myself so seriously. If I ever want to really feel proud of something, I've got to love it enough to make myself work through it. I need to feel the love again. Here goes nothing! Now, to try and convince my family to send back their Netflix DVD so I can continue with Downton...

1 comment:

  1. Whatever you do, DO NOT LOOK UP THE ENDING OF DA.

    Don't do it. It's just as bad as peeking ahead in a book. Worse, in face, because it's harder and way sneakier.

    Otherwise, you have my full support in thy writing endeavors. Full support. Do you know what those words entail? With your Schuler Friendship card, you have unlimited access to encouragement and brainstorming sessions... it's all just a chat away. :D

    ReplyDelete