Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Latest Hiatus

I haven't posted in a full month. Y'all probably thought I was dead! Lemme 'splain. No, there's too much. Lemme sum up. Band camp, beach, co-op, driver's license, thrifting, partying, Oswin Oswald, school, homework, football games, Macbething, dinosaurs on a spaceship, birthday celebrations, late nights, writing. I think that about covered it.

It has been an exciting and eventful four/five weeks. Band camp meant sun, sweat, and pure exhaustion. Not to mention an awesome send-off party, which included a slip n' slide, a mud fight, and The Fellowship of the Ring in the band director's office. School started. I got my driver's license. The 7th season of Doctor Who started. A bunch of after-school activities kicked off. Now I am missing late summer nights as well as the abundance of free time.

But unto more writerly things.

My dear friend Marlene posted about her muse's greatest distraction earlier this month, a post that I would highly encourage you to read (click here). Heck, just read her whole blog. Anywhoosiedoodles, she claimed that her biggest distraction was the INTERNET. Well guess what?

It's mine too. *wink*





Seriously, though. I get all pumped to go write something. Doesn't matter what... Planning for NaNoWriMo, trying to finish up my darn short story for our school's literary magazine, writing nonsense for the heck of it. I may or may not be inspired, but I am motivated. I sit down at the computer and think to myself, Hmm, haven't checked Facebook in awhile. Or Google+... or Pinterest... or those good YouTube channels... or my e-mail... or those modest fashion blogs... What about Etsy? I could use the inspiration. Motivation and time are gone before you can say "what am I gonna do about watching the second season of Downton Abbey".

I am probably the worst culprit of Internet distraction syndrome. Now mind you, some of those distractions really do keep me from going insane. Plus Pinterest can be really inspirational. But all of those lovely pins don't translate into a spiffy novel with my name on it.

So I laid off the distractions for awhile. "Awhile" meaning "the past two or three days", but nonetheless. The writing has really been coming along! I've been toiling away at my NaNo novel, or rather, preparing for it. It's pretty much an F5 brainstorm in my head. Trouble is, every time I think I have my dystopian world figured out, it starts to evolve and change. I have too many good ideas! A lovely predicament, but a predicament nonetheless. I've made some progress on my short story. I wrote a synopsis for my NaNo in probability and statistics (that class is a piece of cake, so no worries). The juices are flowing again.

It's good to be back.



(West) Side Story: We celebrated a good friend's birthday today, where I visited with his family, aka my second family. Be it Providence, fate, destiny, a horse, I was given quite the compliment today. A family member read my essay from the literary magazine and was apparently quite touched by it. He encouraged me to keep writing and was certain I would "do something" with it. Is that motivation or what!?

(Way)[S]ide Stor[y](ies from Westside School): I couldn't sleep last night. As in, I hit the sack at 3:30 AM. My sister's slumber party essentially took over the house until midnight, which was kind of scary. They stole my bed! I didn't even get a warning! It was like, "oh, sleep here, never mind getting your clothes and stuff, night". I simply could not sleep. Do you want to know what I did? I watched Lost in Austen. Well, part of it. For a laugh. A laugh which woke up my sister quite a few times. It was even worse the second time around. But it helped me to fend off peanut butter cravings! Then I read 'Happy Birthday, Samantha!', fell asleep, and woke up to mini pancakes. THE END.

PS - Hey Whovians! Did anyone notice that Arthur Weasley was Rory's dad, and Filch was the bad guy? I'm telling you, the amount of Harry Potter/Doctor Who/period drama/Titanic cross-overs is getting ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment