Saturday, November 3, 2012

NaNoWriMo 2021, Day No. 3

My posts are going to change format a bit this month. Because all I want to talk about it...

Get this Facebook timeline banner here.
The month has begun and on November 1st, I surpassed the daily 1,667 words with a grand total of 1,751 words!!! So exciting! So far, I've only botched all of my chances at good description, successfully deleted half of a chapter (I blame our funky new laptop), and made the wretched mistake of comparing the sky to a bruise. Actually, I kind of like that bit, but nonetheless! Day No. 1 went swimmingly and I was quite pleased.

Day No. 2? Not so great.

I had a very full day yesterday, with a football game in the evening and whatnot. It was SENIOR NIGHT, which meant I got walk across the loooooooooong football field with my weepy parents and hold flowers and get my picture taken. And I got chocolate! Did I mention the chocolate!? Anyways, I only got in a little over 500 words. The NaNoWriMo website wouldn't let me on at the time, so my word count today will look a little funky.

On the bright side, it looks like the Muses have taken pity on my immortal writing soul.

This is what I think when I think "muses". Yes, yes. The Disney movie is not historically accurate in the least. But you know what!? It has cool gospel music and I know the words to some of the songs and goshdarnit, I learn most of my Greek mythology from Percy Jackson anyways, so I can never be truly sure what's really true. So just accept this image.
A lot of my book has to do with books and their impact. It's a dystopia, I will remind you, one that has a plot that resembles Fahrenheit 451 a little, which I just finished, but did not read when I was plotting the book. Really, the equation for my book is like Fahrenheit 451 + 1984 + The Hunger Games + Karol, The Man Who Became Pope + This Inkpop Book (Back When Inkpop Existed) That Was Really Cool and About Concentration Camps in the Future. ANYWAYS.

I needed to pick a random book for my character to read to her sister. I wanted to pick something that was accessible to both of their age groups, was old and sort of classic-ish, I wasn't overly familiar with, and would still be somewhat familiar to a modern reader. I picked The Little Princess. It's a delightful story, although I only read the abridged version as a kid. And do you want to know what passage fit perfectly into my book?

"But you will not have to stay for a very long time, little Sara," he had always said. "You will go to a nice house where there will be a lot of little girls, and you will play together, and I will send you plenty of books, and you will grow so fast that it will seem scarcely a year before you are big enough and clever enough to come back and take care of papa."

She had liked to think of that. To keep the house for her father; to ride with him, and sit at the head of his table when he had dinner parties; to talk to him and read his books--that would be what she would like most in the world, and if one must go away to "the place" in England to attain it, she must make up her mind to go. She did not care very much for other little girls, but if she had plenty of books she could console herself. She liked books more than anything else, and was, in fact, always inventing stories of beautiful things and telling them to herself. Sometimes she had told them to her father, and he had liked them as much as she did.

It's so delightfully perfect!!!

Now, onto that dreadful word count that awaits me. Making up for lost time today...

No comments:

Post a Comment