Thursday, May 9, 2013

Wheel of Fortune

Sometimes, I feel pretty unlucky. Like when I find myself falling asleep during prom because I had an allergic reaction to a walnut in the chicken salad (?) and I'm drugged up on Benadryl. Or when my prom date gets a flat tire. Or when I finally get home at nine o'clock at night and literally fall out of my the driver's seat of my dad's truck while balancing a book, a laptop, and a large pizza, muttering to myself, "Ah, the irony of being called Grace" (my middle name), only to be caught in the act by a large dog and accompanying gentleman. To whom I proceeded to say "good evening" in the friendly tone that, according to my sister, is "really weird".

Fortune? She is a strumpet.
Fortune has not smiled down upon me.

I have bruised my back by walking into the chimes in the pit band. I cut my thumb making a milkshake. I ran into an incredibly intimidating girl on the only occasion I have ever in my high school career made the decision to run to class. And yet...

Fortune has smiled down upon me! Because I, ladies and gentleman, have had a flurry of writing activity. Not to mention a lovely day. After my AP English Exam (which was full of little happy surprises for me, which I may not disclose... curse you College Board), I got to eat at Panera's. Mmmmm... My best friend and I then went to Wal-Mart and bought BFF necklaces, a Captain American cup, and a cheese grater. (Long story.) Then, we went to Goodwill and browsed the used books section, which resulted in some dramatic readings of romance novels and Pride and Prejudice in my very best Ricky Collins voice... Like so.


Oh Ricky. *grin*

If you thought I just wanted to tell the world about my life... you're partially right. But there's a moral to the story! Just like the early episodes of Hannah Montana!

"Wow, I learned so much about respecting my family and friends, humility, and how to be a good person. I certainly how this show doesn't become about a materialistic diva that reflects the behavior of the actress who portrays me!"
My point is, I would highly recommend adding little bits of luck in your characters' lives... and short moments of misfortune as well. Good days and bad days are part of life. If your story doesn't balance the two...

Well, it won't be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment