Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"Failure is not an option."

Technically speaking, I guess I failed. I missed two days in a row for the 100 for 100 Challenge, and as they straddled two different weeks, so I'm out of the game. (You only have one grace week, which I used this past week while enjoying my sister's birthday celebrations.)

Does that mean I'm quitting? Heck no!

 In fact, just last night I wrote approximately 2 1/2 chapters of my novel in one sitting. How exciting is that!? All of the best scenes are coming up. I wish I had more hours in a day so that I could get them all on paper!

I'm planning to make a note on the 100 for 100 spreadsheet that I've technically lost the challenge, but I would like to continue writing alongside the other competitors. Something about being part of a program makes it a lot easier for me to keep up with my writing.

On another note...

I just blew through two historical fiction novels in three days! The first was Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys, and the second was Interrupted by Rachel Coker. I'm planning to write more expansive reviews for my account on Goodreads, which you can access by clicking the Goodreads pic on the right-hand sidebar. Until then, I'll give my blog friends a quick preview of what I thought of both!

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys (Buy a copy here!)

Out of the Easy had my attention from the very first page. Warning, fellow readers: It's pretty mature content. There isn't anything overly explicit, but be aware, this book deals with prostitution. (Doesn't that make it sound so scandalous?) Sepetys does an amazing job of conveying the 1950's New Orleans setting. She has affirmed in me the need to thoroughly research your location if you want to give your reader the "feel" of the place. The main character, Josie, is likeable and totally worth cheering for. My only disappointment has to do with one of the characters. If anyone has read it, I would be happy to hear your thoughts. I couldn't put this book down and I will gladly sing its praises if anyone is interested.

Interrupted by Rachel Coker (Buy a copy here!)

Interrupted was good. However, I will be honest: It seemed more of a first draft than a completed novel. The pacing was sort of off, the characters not fully developed, etc. It's set in the early 1940's for the most part, but the setting has little bearing on the story. In fact, the details that pertain to World War II feel thrown in and out of place. Certain words were certainly not period appropriate, namely "creep" and "jerk". The Christian ending is kind of sudden. And people's mouths twitch... a lot. But I really think that Coker has talent (she published this at FIFTEEN, people) and I do pass some of the blame onto the editors who should have caught the historical errors. I plan to read her sophomore novel, Chasing Jupiter, in spite of Interrupted's shortcomings. Besides, Interrupted has, like, the most gorgeous trailer ever. 


I wasn't paid to read these books or comment upon them. This is just my way of passing along the literary treasures I have uncovered!

1 comment:

  1. Wert? You 'failed'? I think as long as you get 700 words done at the end of the week, you should be fine. At least, that's how I've been playing it. You got 745 last week, you're good.

    ...good grievous, if that's the case (as in mulitple grace days being a bad thing and isn't redeemed by having words written to make up for them by the end of the week), then I've already failed.

    Heck. Now I'M going to go put a note on my thingmewot too.

    ReplyDelete