Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Befreckled.

Not a word.

At least, I don't think it is.

But it is what I am. And it is causing quite a stir.

After my long family weekend at the beach, I have returned with a few chapters of Emma under my belt and a new understanding of the word "procrastination". I have also gained quite a few freckles due to my pale skin. No burn. No tan. Just freckles.

This wouldn't be such a problem if it wasn't for Prince Caspian over here.

Whatever do you mean?

Page 23 of Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Come look.

“We thought the Duke would have been pleased if the King's Majesty would have married his daughter, but nothing came of that--'
'Squints, and has freckles,' said Caspian.
Oh, poor girl,' said Lucy.”

Ouch.

And then there's always Lydia Bennet...

"I will answer for it he never cared three straws about her. Who could about such a nasty little freckled thing?"

Please excuse me while I tend to my wounded pride.

ANYHOW, THIS IS NOT THE POINT. The point is that in spite of all the time I have "wasted" (if you called "daydreaming" a waste), I did run into a few resources in terms of research recently. (Look at all those lovely r's!) Behold!

 http://homepage.eircom.net/~corkcounty/

Go ahead. Click the link. Maybe I'm the only one who drools when I see it, but let me tell you, this is a resource if I ever found one. I really want to set my novel in Co. Cork because a) it's the REBEL COUNTY, duh and b) that's where my family is from. This gave me a lot of insight into how the Irish War of Independence played out in Co. Cork. Of course, I have a LOT to learn. Like... an absurd amount to learn. But at least I now have somewhere to start!

Now, onto finals and wisdom teeth operations and ordinations and driving tests and dances and some enchanted evenings. Hopefully the writing will flourish in the mayhem of it all!

PS - Did I mention my band is playing a song from Gladiator for a field show? Hear the mallet percussion in there? Mmhmm? That's how I am going to die. Please attend the funeral - I would greatly appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment