Sunday, June 24, 2012

Dress up time!

Part of me wishes I was a fashion blogger. I mean, I am addicted to several modest fashion blogs. I check them practically every waking moment of the day. I drool all over their wonderful clothes and wish that it was fall because I am uber fashionable in the fall. Summer? It's too hot to be creative. Skirt and shirt. Capris and shirt. Dress. Sometimes, I mix it up and wear a sweater. That's when I'm feeling really crazy.

It was on one of these wonderful sites that I found a link for one of those cool companies that sends you random merchandise for a flat fee and you save money and stuff. I doubt I will ever purchase anything from one of these places, but I have to admit, I like staring at all the pretty things and reimagining the things I own. When you sign up for the company site thing, you fill out a profile so they can match you up with merchandise you'll like. I flipped through the questions without much thought, until I hit the last one:

Who do you dress to impress?
[Men] [Women] [Myself]

I paused for a moment to take that question seriously. Who do I dress for in the morning? I mean, when a girl says "I dress to attract men", you get a pretty sketchy picture in your head. But I think that can be a girl's intention without being inappropriate. Let's admit it, ladies. You fancy a gent, you know he's going to be somewhere, you automatically dress a little nicer. When a girl dresses for other girls, she wants other people to appreciate her mad fashion sense. It's normal!

I think "who do you dress to impress" is a valid question. After some serious thought, I decided the "myself" option. If there was a "myself first, sort of for women, and maybe subconsciously for men" option, I would click that. I tend to wear whatever it is that I like, regardless of the current trend. But I am aware of how the other women around me are dressed and try to match the occasion. And when I dress for guys, it's usually a full blown attempt to look "normal", whatever that means.

This is a question we should ask every single one of our characters. I think it is very revealing about what sort of person they are and where their insecurities as well as their strengths lie. It applies to guys and girls. Do they have a specific person in mind? (i.e. Would mother approve of this? Do you think So-and-so would like this?) Does their attire have to do with their goal? (i.e. Will the evil aliens be able to see me in this camoflauge?) Does it have to do with their character flaws? (i.e. Ohhh yeah, this makes me look soooo good, I am a fashion god. Does this make me look fat?) I mean, I know all about how clothing can affect one's mood/feelings/etc. I feel like conquering the world in heels. Sweatpants? I don't even want to look at myself, much less get out of bed and have other people look at me. I get a lot of comments because I dress up all the time, whereas at my school, jeans and t-shirts are pretty standard. But you know what? I dress that way because it's a part of who I am. The same applies to our characters, whether they realize it or not.

WRITING UPDATE: I killed someone today. It was weird... I haven't done that in awhile. However, the writing was not emotional at all. Very flat. Standard stuff. Oh well, at least I wrote. Only a few hundred words, if that, but I wrote! It's June, it's still a free write month according to the battle plans, so my muse cannot complain.

READING UPDATE: Still have to finish Emma. Usually I would read before bed, but I've had a few late nights, so the book keeps getting put off.

Now, onto another week full of adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment