Friday, June 22, 2012

The Man of My Dreams (and other news)

Mr. Darcy was in my dream last night. Of course, I was watching P&P before I went to bed, and he didn't really do much so I can't classify it as an Austen Dream, but it was pretty awesome.

My 11 year old sister wants to pick up Austen now. Her roommate and older sister says she's just copying me, but she's genuinely interested. I could hardly contain my excitement upon her declaration, but I'm encouraging her to read some other classics first so that she'll be able to understand the language. Still, she's 11 and wants to read Austen! Eep! I'm so proud!

WRITING UPDATE: I finally got to sit and write today!!! Okay, only for half an hour, but it was delightful. It was delicious. It was de-lovely! (see "De-Lovely" from Anything Goes) I uncovered an old plot synopsis from a few months ago and decided to write a passage and expand the plot. Goodie, what fun I had! It's a period drama, which means I have no idea what I'm doing. Historical accuracy? Psh, who needs that stuff? (I have my inner editor tied up with duct tape in the back of my brain, which is the only reason I can say that without gagging.)

Halfway through my plotting escapade, I realized that the plot was starting to resemble Downton Abbey... and Mansfield Park... and Pride and Prejudice. Yet it's totally different! The gent, George, and the lass, Susan, resemble Matthew and Mary Crawley (<--- I nearly wrote "Mary Crawford"!) in terms of the whole distant-cousins things. Susan has two sisters (Mary Crawley again) who are rather silly (hence P&P). However, I have drunk fathers and George's general lack of social graces, so I'd say my tale is rather original.

Anyways, all I wrote was a general plot overview and Susan and George's first meeting at Susan's aunt's house. It was all good fun and I feel so much better now that I get to set my pen to paper. Or rather, my fingers to the keyboard!

READING UPDATE: Nothing to report. I sacrificed my reading time for writing time. You can't always get what you want.

We'll see if anything becomes of this random plot I've come up with. I must say, I do love toying around with a good idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment