Sunday, April 29, 2012

It's OVER.

Prom, that is. The supposed epitome of my high school career? Yeah, it's not all that great. Which is perfectly FINE with me, cuz I had virtually no expectations! (My dress was fabulous, though.) My friends and I were literally the first ones out of the ballroom. We sat on a street corner and sang Les Mis, which turned quite a few heads. But I could care less who stared, because I was looking forward to the
AFTER-PARTY.
And what a party it was! I went to hang out with all of my best friends and we played a bunch of improv games and had a Michael Buble dancing montage. After we ate our weight in mini hotdogs, fruit, and soda, it came time to "unwind" (which was extremely difficult after the high-energy improv games). Do you want to know what we did?

We watched the worst movie in the history of the universe.

When I announce the title, I guarantee every girl reading this post is going to cringe. It's a little thing called Lost in Austen, and it's a complete and total train wreck. Of course, we knew it was a monstrosity, which was the entire point of watching it. I fell asleep on the couch after Collins married Jane (!!!), woke up to find Mr. Bennet bleeding profusely (which made me laugh hysterically and freaked out everyone who thought I was fast asleep), fell asleep again, and woke up to find Mr. Darcy wandering the streets of modern day London. It's truly terrible and kind of crass, but at 1:00 AM it was hysterically funny and since we knew it would be horrible, it was impossible to be disappointed. Here's the trailer to prove it's insanity:



I did not have the misfortune of witnessing that little Darcy bit. Apparently it's a joke about an actor? All I know is that it's a strange movie, but kind of like a car crash: Terribly horrific, but you still turn your head to see it.

The movie did get me thinking, though. What would happen if I found myself in the throes of an Austen novel?

Immediately I thought about the dancing. After all, that's the best part of any period drama! Except that I have minimal knowledge of how to dance and would probably ruin everything. Perhaps it would be endearing? I envisioned myself breaking every object at Netherfield and decided that it might be a good idea to keep the dancing at a minimum until I officially knew what I was doing.

What if I was called to the pianoforte? That would probably be a disaster as well. I would play the beginning of a Taylor Swift song, forget how to play the first page of "Married Life", and pluck out the beginning of the Harry Potter theme before dying of shame. Maybe someone could play and I could sing? Now that was a better daydream. Very Marianne Dashwood a la Kate Winslet.

Then I mentally jump into the TARDIS, fast-foward to Downton Abbey, and envision myself playing piano with William. *sigh*

I guess my point is that the premise of the movie does touch on something probably every girl can relate to. Who WOULDN'T want to jump into their favorite book!? (Unless you're reading The Hunger Games. Just let Peeta come to you.) Thing is, instead of producing glorified fan-fiction like this wonderfullll movie I had the pleasureeee of viewing, we writers fashion entirely new stories that introduce a whole new world that we have the honor of plunging into ourselves. Isn't that the whole reason we write? To fully experience a story that is not our own?

Now, I am off to study and force myself through the SAT, my AP Spanish test, and a handful of regular tests. Maybe I'll actually write something along the way?

1 comment:

  1. 6:20 sums up the strangeness of this movie.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK101C9HtKc

    ReplyDelete